Greedy Blog

Friday, June 20, 2003



 
This article talks about a class I would hate to take. Representative excerpts:

"Jefferson believed in majority rule, but what majority was he in?" said historian James O. Horton of George Washington University. "He wasn't in the majority in terms of gender. He wasn't in the majority in terms of class. The only majority he was in was race."

I think it is possible for someone to be in favor of majority rule, even when they are not part of that majority. I think drugs should be legalized, an that puts me in a minority. I accept that most people think the evils outweigh the benefits, and hope that they will eventually see the light. I doubt that this position makes me abandon a belief in majority rule, or that it makes me reshape "the majority" to fit myself inside. Similarly, does this mean that people who dislike Bush no longer believe in majority rule?
I'd also like to point out that Jefferson had nothing to do with the writing of the constitution, and that Federalists like Hamilton were responsible for the fact that only white males could vote.
I'm not a pure Jeffersonian, and I understand that he owned slaves. However, I don't think that had anything to do with his views on majority rule. I'd like to see some real evidence that Jefferson believed in "whiteness", not just the fact that he wasn't in the majority.

Chen said Avakian's course made her more aware of how the sense of belonging corresponds to skin color. "I would never not choose to be someone's friend because they are white, but I think it's important to have friends of color," she said.

This very much reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George tries to make friends with random black people to prove to his boss that he isn't racist.

I understand the point, but it is fun to dissect the double negative:
never = not ever = not always
=> never not = not always not = not always not = always
=> "I would always choose to be someone's friend becuase they are white..."

Posted by Gel 11:57 AM Post a Comment

Real Friends' Blogs
Random Rantings
Fancy Dirt
Force Paintball

Locations of visitors to this page

Other Blogs
Instapundit
Baseball Musings
Patently-O
Tim Blair
Volokh
Mark Steyn
Chris Lynch
Donald Luskin
Neal Boortz

Links
UT School of Law
UA ChEE
Jim Rome

Powered by Blogger
Listed on Blogwise