Greedy Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2004


Teamwork
 
One of the knocks against me when I was working was that I didn't appear to be a team player. Rather than taking input, I would just decide what was best and tell people what to do. In annual reviews, my boss disagreed with that assessment, saying that I just didn't like to waste time when there were wafers (and thus money) on the line listening to people babble while I already knew the proper course of action. However, I was a team player in the sense that I did that for the company's well-being rather than to stoke my own ego. I pretty much agreed, especially since there were very few instances when I made an incorrect decision and even fewer when I made an incorrect decision against the advice of someone with a better solution. I really don't want to toot my own horn, but limiting and preventing incidents is the achievement of which I am proudest [superlative intended].

"Why are you thinking about that?" you ask. Well, the other day a classmate asked me if I had done the patent prosecution homework. First I had a flashback to high school, where people didn't do homework until the last minute or at all. Even in college, my classmates were diligent and non-procastitory about homework. Perhaps this was a product of the immense workload on ChEEs, but I think it was common sense. Now that we are coming up on finals within a week, I was surprised that law students wouldn't have the same organization and work ethic.
Basically, this type of thing happens in some form fairly often. For example, I had done this homework on Thursday (due yesterday). I devoted several hours to it and thought about it enough that I was satisfied with it (a fairly high standard). The asking classmate hadn't yet devoted any time to it, but had many questions. Some of them I had thought about, and others I hadn't. I wasn't doing that much at the time (reading blogs?), so I helped. There were many instances of "Why do that instead of this?" Since it was about 5 days later, I couldn't remember most of the time. However, I knew I was correct and couldn't immediately figure out why. Basically, the student did their own thing, not relying on my lack of explanation, and was wrong. We got the model answer and it matched mine.
My question is whether this would be perceived as a lack of teamwork. Rather than discussing what to do together, I did my own thing and urged someone to follow on the basis that I thought it was correct. I think that is a form of teamwork, and one that more often leads to success. This isn't a very clear post, so I'll try to clarify later.

Posted by Gel 1:08 PM Post a Comment

Real Friends' Blogs
Random Rantings
Fancy Dirt
Force Paintball

Locations of visitors to this page

Other Blogs
Instapundit
Baseball Musings
Patently-O
Tim Blair
Volokh
Mark Steyn
Chris Lynch
Donald Luskin
Neal Boortz

Links
UT School of Law
UA ChEE
Jim Rome

Powered by Blogger
Listed on Blogwise