Greedy Blog

Monday, October 11, 2004


Deaths
 
When I heard that Reeve died, I thought about Dangerfield and wondered who would be next (celebs always seem to die in 3s). Then I found out it was Ken Caminiti.

Anyone who had heard an interview with him in the last year shouldn't be surprised. As far as I can tell, steroids screwed up his body, so he turned to cocaine, which screwed up his mind.

As a big Padres fan, I'll have a hard time looking fondly on the 1996 and 1998 seasons. KC's trademarks were hitting home runs from both sides of the plate in the same game and throwing runners out from his back. I also remember the Snickers game, where he hit two homeruns. On a trip to San Diego, I bought a Caminiti #21 jersey shirt. IMO, the fact that he was a Biggio-Bagwell type guy on a Southern California type team was one of the reasons for the Padres' success.

Kevin Towers (Padres GM) said today that KC's rotator cuff was 90% torn in 1998. Rather than being looked at as something to be commended (playing through the pain, and doing it well), I think that just shows how well steroids work.

I wonder what the Astros (and/or Braves) will do tonight, as Houstonites also consider Caminiti one of their favorites.


As for Dangerfield, I thought he was the best of the old comedians. Movies like Caddyshack and Back to School are obviously great, but I even liked Meet Wally Sparks, Easy Money, and Ladybugs.


UPDATE: As far as I could tell, the Braves had a "21" in a home plate on their left sleeve, but the Astros had nothing.

Posted by Gel 4:15 PM Post a Comment

Real Friends' Blogs
Random Rantings
Fancy Dirt
Force Paintball

Locations of visitors to this page

Other Blogs
Instapundit
Baseball Musings
Patently-O
Tim Blair
Volokh
Mark Steyn
Chris Lynch
Donald Luskin
Neal Boortz

Links
UT School of Law
UA ChEE
Jim Rome

Powered by Blogger
Listed on Blogwise