Greedy Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2005


Dude, You're Getting a Dell
 
At work, we still have old school 17" CRT monitors. So old the case has yellowed. And has writing on it. They are slowly replacing them with 17" LCDs. S-l-o-w-l-y. When my eyes started to hurt after looking at it for 8+ hr/d, I decided to get a monitor for myself. I bought a Dell 2001FP 20" LCD. This second, it is on sale for $599.20. When I bought it, it was still $749.00 but there were coupons that brought it down to ~$427 (~$390 after tax and shipping -- I thought this was the internet). It's a nice monitor. Bright and huge enough that I can put three documents side by side or have a large IE window while doing other stuff on the other portions of the screen. I really like the stand because you can easily move it up and down, side to side, and about its axis. Our video cards have a dual monitor out, so I'm still using the CRT for Outlook and my timers. It's nice to have those things out of the way.

However, I still think my Sony 21" CRT puts out the best picture of any display device I've ever seen.

The thing was, I have an account on Dell although I can't remember buying anything with them before. They know my address, billing info, the works. Whenever I clicked "Checkout," I was sent to a logon screen. This happened several times and I did all the permutations I could to trick it into not doing that. For some reason, the site was stuck in an endless you-can't-complete-your-purchase loop.

I called their 800 number and the person at the other end was horrible. I had the model number, she had my account number with all its info, and the transaction still took about 30 minutes. I was put on hold several times. This was their vaunted customer service? Maybe their entire computer network was down. How ironic.

I received it the same day they said they shipped it. Liars.

Also, the Dell Dude is quite gay.

Posted by Gel 10:45 PM Post a Comment

Real Friends' Blogs
Random Rantings
Fancy Dirt
Force Paintball

Locations of visitors to this page

Other Blogs
Instapundit
Baseball Musings
Patently-O
Tim Blair
Volokh
Mark Steyn
Chris Lynch
Donald Luskin
Neal Boortz

Links
UT School of Law
UA ChEE
Jim Rome

Powered by Blogger
Listed on Blogwise